Building a house is a big deal. Whether you’re looking for a new home that you build from the ground up or an inventory home that is move-in ready, there are a few important things to know when choosing a home builder. We met with the experts and gathered their top home building tips on how to choose a builder below. Whatever you decide, when you buy a home in Bridgeland, there are 18 of Houston’s best homebuilders available to help you build the home of your dreams.
- Research customer satisfaction ratings. When finding a builder, it’s important to look at their history. Check out social media and builder websites for testimonials and reviews. Don’t be afraid to ask the builder you’re interested in for references from current homeowners. Want to make sure you are getting unbiased information? Ask people in your desired neighborhood about their opinions in person.
- Understand that you’re a part of a team. If you have decided to choose a custom builder, it’s important to remember that it’s a team effort. Your team goes beyond just the builder. It also includes your architect, your designer and you. Think of it as a “we” experience and be sure to establish the type of relationship you want. Do you want to be involved in every decision? Do you want your builder to contact you about every detail? Be direct and transparent.
- Know what you want in advance.
Even if you’re not in the market for a new home that you build from the ground up, and are instead looking for a move-in ready inventory home, it’s necessary to know what you want before you start shopping. Do you want a smart home? Are you looking for a specific type of neighborhood or building material? The more you know about what you want, the easier it will be to spot the perfect home when you see it. Likewise, if you are looking to build a new home, knowing exactly what you want will make your collaboration with the home builder smoother.
- Get everything in writing. Before the build begins or the move-in ready home is purchased, you should get any requested changes and other communications put in writing. Save any emails and correspondence regarding key decisions and promises made. This may seem like overkill, but it will give you support in case there is a misunderstanding or if something you’ve requested doesn’t happen.
- Trust Bridgeland. When you buy a new home in Bridgeland, know that our team of builders were chosen intentionally. Our extraordinary team of builders is ready to help you choose between customizing a home with your desired selections or picking an inventory home that can get you in the neighborhood of your choice more quickly. You can also meet with an architect and design your dream home from the ground up. In Bridgeland, we maintain detailed design guidelines for builders and work with each one to develop a wonderful homebuying and building experience. With such high standards, we help take out some of the guesswork of choosing a builder for your new home.
Whichever type of home you choose, buying a new home can be exciting. Make sure to take these tips to heart to make your homebuying experience the best it can be!